IT Operations Manager
828 290 4446 | R@Vanderdecken.com | Raleigh, NC
Dynamic, force to be reckoned with, a catalyst for change, customer facing software development manager with 20+ years of software development leadership making a career change to operations management.
A dynamic leader, mentor and collaborator who has acted as the development process improvement expert on several projects. Tenaciously creative approaches to complex problem solving as a visionary forward thinker. An Inventor with 20+ year of bleeding-edge project leadership. Returned to college to peruse a career-changing goal of an MIS with Operations Management Bachelor’s UNC at Pembroke; Graduating December 2018. Personal interest includes Amazon Web Services, Cloud and Artificial Intelligence. When not studying I terraform my gardens and photograph them.
B.I.S. in Applied Management Information Systems with Operations Management,
2017-2018 UNC Pembroke, B.S. expected December 2018 GPA 3.85
Career change to operations management from software development.
Artificial Intelligence and Google IT Support Professional certificates via Coursera.
A.A.S. in Brewing, Distillation & Fermentation – 2015-2016 with Honors GPA 3.97
Blue Ridge Community College, Flat Rock, NC
Discovered that I am a better leader and manager than an employee.
Associates of Arts & Science – 1984-1986 with Honors GPA 3.79
Sinclair Community College, Dayton, OH
Computer Science, GPA 3.80 1991 – 1993 — The University of California at Irvine
Computer Science, GPA 3.51 1986 – 1990 — University of Dayton
- Increased revenue and/or reduced costs by acting as the Software architect on multiple projects
- Created and lead several international design and development teams
- Developed solutions by identifying root causes, defining problems, building & mentoring teams
- Designed telecommunication innovations several times
Areas of Technical Expertise
- Functional Programming, MVC, SDLC, UML, OOP, OOD, Lifecycle management
- C/C++ Multi-Threaded Server, Data Structures, IO Streams, Inheritance, Polymorphism, Virtual Classes
- Microsoft Office suite, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project | Apple Pages, Number, Keynote
- Multi-Threaded Object-Oriented Design (OOD) Programming (OOP) in C/C++ with MVC
- Personal learning: AWS, Swift, Python, Artificial Intelligence, Google Technical Support Specialist
Work & Volunteer Experience
Semi-Retired 2009 – 2015
The Untrained Brain Co., Hendersonville, NC
During the recession took advantage of early retirement. Perused creative interests beyond the technology industry. Focused on fulfilling projects that expanded my understanding of the world and contributed back to the community.
- Bachelor of MIS for Operations Management graduating December 2018; career change
- Graduated with honours with an A.A.S in Brewing, Distillation & Fermentation (BRCC 2016)
- Chairman of community vegetable garden initiative supplying fresh produce for local MANNA foodbank
- Ran a successful specialist consignment business; learned about buying, selling, pricing and marketing
- Chauffeured, and directed teams of drivers, for weddings at the Biltmore Estate
- Created a business and market analysis report about using motor coaches to replace regional airline aircraft in short-haul markets (Ride Voyager 2014-2015)
- Assisted BMW with IBM Big Data and Hadoop Technology (Greytree Partners 2015)
- Learned screenwriting and filmmaking
Learned leadership is about helping others discover how to use their own talents better.
Personal Technology Projects
- iOS push payments Credit Card processing app; AWS with DynamoDB, Swift, Python
- iOS vendor ordering system app; AWS with DynamoDB, Swift, Python
Software Architect, SSDE Team Leader, OEM Services Consultant 2008 –2009
Microsoft, Redmond, WA
- Accountable for improvements in the performance of the Windows customer startup experience on OEM computers by analyzing systems and recommending changes.
- Executive level engagement directly with International OEM PC manufactures to improve initial customer Windows interactions and raise overall customer satisfaction.
- Responsible for positive customer relationships with HP, DELL, ACER, ASUS, Lenovo, Samsung, Sony and Toshiba. Hosted OEM partners while in the country or on campus.
- Experimental Big Data training contract for BMW project utilizing, Text Analytics, MapReduce Hadoop, HDFS, Jaql & Pig running in the Cloud and on local Linux server cluster.
Independent Contract Software Architect, Team Leader, CTO 2002 – 2008
The Untrained Brain Co, Hendersonville, NC
International Surveillance Technology 2006-2008
- Enhanced Asterisk PBX call & voicemail features, improved networked storage systems.
- Created new G.711 to G.729 Codec for audio streaming server solution to record call center agent and customer interactions using Asterix saving server hardware costs.
- Developed SNMP polling software using Object Oriented PERL (with classes) for RRDTools for real-time charting of call traffic, call detail records, costs and sales (WebVoIP).
- Top contributor to open source RADIUS software. Resolving key security defects.
Pluto Home 2002-2003
- Chief Technology Officer home automation software development company.
- Oversaw technical aspects of customer relationships, guided investors on production schedules, product development, design, quality control, and hardware acquisitions.
- Created the patent application process. Wrote patent submissions.
- Directed work for whole home networked DVR system.
Additional Client Support
- Demonstrated developed products for companies at industry trade shows.
- Established vendor relationships with key players in the home automation & surveillance sectors.
Software Architect & Software Engineer C/C++ 2001 –2002
Pace Micro, Boca Raton, FL
- Lead architectural design and implementation of browser-based cable TV set-top box (STB).
- Created web browser for PowerTV OS in C using MVC design concepts.
- Created version control procedures; reducing problems with coding, quality & teams.
- Changed developers from relying on software to relying on each other as part of a team.
- Upgraded Cisco PowerTV OS to a multi-threaded system improving performance by 40%.
- Created an asynchronous RPC client/server interface, with JNI, for 3rd party billing system.
- Enhanced performance of Pay per View client; cutting purchase approval times significantly.
Sales Engineer & Solutions Consultant 1999 – 2000
Chordiant Software, Mountain View, CA
- Sales consultant for the delivery of Java-based CRM system at TSYS credit card processing.
- Resolved key post-installation issues during early life support.
- Lead Customer relationship manager (CRM) product team onsite.
Software Architect, Senior Technical Lead, C/C++ 1997 – 1999
Intellivoice Communications, Atlanta, GA
- As Software Architect invented digital Email to Voicemail to Email (EVE) system using micro services
- EVE was the basis of the decision for Premier Communications to acquire Intellivoice.
- Created digital voicemail system, eliminating analog hardware, reducing processing cost by 90%
- C-Level sales and technical negotiations with Premiere Communications.
- Acted as the sales engineer in support of sales staff trust-based selling process.
Software Architect & Team Lead, C/C++ 1996 – 1997
Daugherty Systems, Atlanta, GA
- Planned and managed technical assessment & full code rewrite for Delta Air Lines’ Magellan reservation system resulting in a significant overall improvement of agent and call center performance.
- Saved client millions of dollars in excess equipment capacity, labor, and lost sales through increases in system performance by removing software development errors and system constraints.
- Working with Kanban methods, developed business documentation, requirements documents, use cases, software requirements specifications, report specifications, user stories, interface designs, and code.
- Eliminated excessive reservation agent terminal downtimes during customer calls.
- Reduced reservation call lengths by 90% by reducing application crashes.
- Diagnosed obscure network and DB/2 issues with the Delta Airlines reservation system.
- Interfaced directly with unionized workers, reservation agents and backend developers.
- Improved network capacity and routing by reconfiguring network hardware.
Technical Lead, Staff Engineer, C/C++ 1995 –1996
Consultant, Atlanta, GA
- Analyzed and rewrote primary Order Processing Client/Server Middleware backend.
- Eliminated sales commissions overpayments and errors. Reduced factory order latencies.
- Directed inter-departmental staff on Windows Client/Server Business applications.
- Resolved network infrastructure congestion issues.
Senior Technical Consultant, C/C++ 1993 – 1995
State of the Art, Irvine, CA
Senior Member of Engineering Team, C/C++ 1991 –1993
Canon Information Systems, Costa Mesa, CA
Network Systems Engineer, C programmer 1986 –1991
Digital Communications Associates 10net, Dayton, OH
Cider and Winemaker scholarship Fall 2016
Dean’s list: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- 5,325,527: Client/server communication system utilizing self-generated nodal network, June 28, 1994
- 5,454,102: Method and apparatus for transferring structured data using self-generated node network, Sep 26, 1995
- 5,630,060: Method and apparatus for delivering multi-media messages over different transmission media, May 13, 1997
US Citizen, US Passport Holder, Non-Smoker, US Army Veteran.